Contact

Friday, 6 March 2015

Toners for What, Who and When.


Toning is probably one of my favourite skincare steps. When I started using acid toners, I saw a massive difference in my skin. A lot of people see toning as an "unnecessary step" but to me, it it what keeps my skin balanced, smooth and free from congestion. I thought I would write this post today talking about which toner you can use for what and show you how many different types of toners there are and how many different benefits they can have for your skin.



I obviously have no tried out every toner the market has to offer but I have a small collection of ones I have tried that I can give my opinion on.

Aloe Calming Toner from The Body Shop

Who is it for?
Sensitive, angry, sore skin that needs a gentle and soothing step. Or for anyone who wants a more "basic" toner.

What does it do?
Soothes sore, sensitive skin. Balances, reduces redness and irritation. It only has 5 ingredients (the main ones being water, aloe juice and glycerin) so it is super gentle on the skin.

When should you use it?
Morning and night after cleansing.

Vitamin E Hydrating Toner from The Body Shop 

Who is it for?
Any skin types. Particularly dehydrated skins.

What does it do?
Gives the skin a drink of hydration, without being heavy or sticky on the skin. I love using this after a "stronger" acid toner, I feel like it helps to balance out my skin again.

When should you use it?
Morning and night after cleansing.

Clarins Extra Comfort Toning Lotion

The exact same as the Vitamin E toner but more expensive.

Clarins Gentle Exfoliator Brightening Toner (My favourite toner. Ever.)

Who is it for?
All skin types. Works especially well if you have dry, dull skin or you just want to look radiant and glowy.

What does it do?
This is an acid toner. It uses glycolic acid to nibble away dead skin cells to reveal a bright and glowing complexion. It is super gentle on the skin but so effective.

When should you use it?
I use it most days, morning or night. I have that many toners now that I alternate but when this was the only one I owned I used it every day and it is gentle enough to do so. I know some people only use it a few times a week but it is really up to you and how your skin handles it.

Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner

Who is it for?
All skin types. Maybe not super sensitive as this is quite a strong acid toner. Great if you have quite bad acne scarring, uneven pigmentation etc as it will really help to reduce that.

What does it do?
This, again, is an acid toner but it is much stronger than the likes of the Clarins. I only use this a couple times a week, when I feel my skin is a bit gritty, spotty or congested. It makes your skin super tingly as it is really getting rid of all those dead skin cells. I would not recommend this as your first acid toner, it is too strong, you'll feel like you have fallen face first into a nettle bush. I started using it once I had worked acid toners into my routine for a good few months and I love it. It is a really good, effective toner.

When should you use it?
Only 1-2 a week mainly. I sometimes use it 3 times if my skin is quite bad in terms of spots and congestion. I mainly use it at night but have used it in the morning and it is completely fine.


Neutrogena Visibly Clear Blackhead Eliminating Cleansing Lotion

Who is it for?
Spotty, congested skin types. Avoid if you are quite sensitive.

What does it do?
This uses an ingredient called salicylic acid that is particularly effective for penetrating into the pores and flushing out bacteria from deeper down. If you suffer from bumps under the surface of your skin (congestion) this is something you would really benefit from. It is also great at helping active breakouts on their way.

When should you use it?
Again, this is quite a strong toner and it contains a higher amount of alcohol, so to avoid drying out the skin, I would use this a few times a week followed up by a hydrating toner (e.g Vitamin E or Clarins Extra Comfort) to balance the skin back out and provide some moisture/hydration. You can use it morning or night.

La Roche Posay Serozinc 

Who is it for?
All skin types. Targeted toward blemished/oily skin types.

What does it do?
This helps to reduce blemishes, excess oil and uneven pigmentation by the use of zinc sulphate and sodium chloride. It is almost like a super gentle spot treatment in a spray can. It is really light and refreshing on the skin, whilst it helps to keep the skin clean and fights blemishes.

When should you use it?
Morning and night, after cleansing. La Roche-Posay also say you can use it throughout the day to refresh the skin. It is great in the morning as it is super refreshing and I love the spray can.

I hope you found that helpful and it gave you more of an idea as to what toner is suitable for your skin type! If you have any toner related questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments and I shall get back to you!

Thank you for reading.

Zoe x

No comments:

Post a Comment