Contact

Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Top 5 of 2014: Nails (Tools and Colours)


Sorry this one is later than the rest of the series. I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to do a nail category. 

But I was thinking about it and some of the best products I have discovered in 2014 have been for my nails so it would be silly not to!

I'm going to do top 5 tools, treatments etc and then top 5 nail colours.

Tools/Treatments 



1. Glass nail file- I genuinely do not know how I managed to do my nails without a glass nail file. By far one of the most useful discoveries of the year!
A glass file is so quick, easy, accurate. You're nails are completely reshaped and perfectly filed in minutes. Not only that, it is far more gentle on the nails. They are far less likely to split and break due to filing if you use a glass file. You can also file in both directions as well without damaging the nail. I got mine from TKMaxx so I'm not able to link it but you can pick up glass nail files in Boots etc. 

2. Sally Hansen Gel Cuticle Remover- I love this for getting rid of dry, excess cuticles and just dry skin around the nails in general. I apply a generous amount and leave it to sit for a few minutes before taking a cuticle pusher and gently pushing back the product. With it comes all the dead skin and yuckiness that was built up around the nail. After, you'll have super smooth, even cuticles.

3. Almond cuticle oil pen from The Body Shop- This is the key to soft, hydrated cuticles. I apply this most nights before beds and it really has made a difference to my nails. They stay much smoother and hydrated for longer. It is also super easy to use throughout the day as the brush applicator makes it so quick and easy to just brush in and massage in. Also, because it is a gel/oil consistency, it sinks into the skin quickly, again, making it great to use on the go and throughout the day! 

4. Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat- The. Best. Topcoat. Ever! I am so obsessed with this. Not only does it make your nail polish look super sleek and shiny, it dries it in SECONDS. I am always so impressed with just how quickly I can potter around and pick up things without having to worry about scuffing my beautiful, fresh mani! I can not recommend this top coat enough, it is probably one of my favourite purchases of the whole of 2014!

5. Straight edge nail clippers- Again, something so simple but it makes such a difference. If you like a square shaped nail, straight edge nail clippers are a MUST. I found mine in TKMaxx but I am sure you can pick them up quite easily. They make getting that near, straight edge very quick and easy. All you then need to do is file down the edges! It's great.

I KNOW I've already listed 5 but I had to mention another couple!

6. Pretty Quick Instant Nail Polish Remover - The ultimate lazy girls nail polish remover! Stick your finger in the pot, twist, twist, twist, DONE. It is so quick and easy to remove your nail polish this way. The formulation is also really gentle on the nails and doesn't dry them out or leave them sticky, so you can literally just run out the door after (I've had to do this a couple times before leaving for work in the morning when I've noticed my nails are all chipped and look awful, this is a life saver!)

7. SkinTruth Nail Polish Remover - If you aren't feeling super lazy and actually want to take your nail polish off the old fashioned way, this nail polish remover is FAB. It is acetone free, which is great for your nails as it doesn't dry the life out of them, yet removes colour in one swipe. I purchased mine from Sally's.

Colours


1. Essie-Fiji - OBVIOUSLY. I am just so in love with this colour. A short, squared off shape, with this colour is, to me, nail perfection! It is so simple, yet eye catching. Simple and clean, yet unique at the same time. I love it. If you read my post earlier in the year, you'll know that Essie actually changed the formulation and colour of Fiji. They took away the white base which is what made it so unique and eye catching and made it over all, more pink. I am still holding onto my original bottle as I don't think I will ever be able to get rid of it even if it is unusable because I just love it so much! (Considering how much I LOVE this colour I am very surprised that I can not find a photo that I've taken of a mani with it? You all know what Fiji looks like though, right?!) 

2. The Body Shop Colour Crush Nails in Gorgeous Grey - This was quite a late discovery in the year but it instantly became one of my all time favourites. A stunning taupey, grey, purple, that doesn't look like much in the bottle but when on the nails, it shines. It is so pretty! I think the slightly more purpley undertone is what makes it more wearable and different to other grey polishes. I simply love it! It again, is super classic and sophisticated and looks great on a short, squared off nail.


3. Korres Nail Colour in Peony Pink - I went CRAZY for this colour over the Spring and no wonder- it is so stunning. The perfect sheer- yet buildable, baby pink. It is so feminine and pretty and like all these polishes, has that effortless classy look to it. I have several of these colours in my collection but Peony Pink is by far my favourite. I love it so much when I applied it for the first time, I immediately went online and bought a back up! Now, THAT is saying something. Korres actually have a really beautiful selection of nail colours, I feel they deserve more hype as they are lovely products! I am keen to try some more colours for myself.

4. Nails Inc (for Glamour Magazine) in Hanover Square. I got this colour with Novembers issue of Glamour Magazine, which obviously, is no longer available. However, I am still mentioning it as they have an almost identical colour in their core range called Kensington High Street.
This is a stunning, deep, beery shade that is perfect for Winter. I had to force myself to use different colours as I found myself re-applying this shade every mani. The formulation is very thick and glossy and is opaque in one coat.


5. Topshop Matte Nails in Sober (Can't find online. Sorry!)- I haven't actually worn this colour since the Summer, as it is about as "Summery" nail polish wise as I get (I really do not like bright, neon shades. Ew.) It is a really gorgeous pastel peachy/pink, leaning more on the peach side. It is a matte formulation but I always apply a topcoat on top, as matte finishes aren't really my thing wither (Again, ew.)
It's one of those colours I always found myself just staring at when I had it on my nails. It's just so pretty! It's like the grown up version of Barry M's Peach Melba. It's a little more subtle and more pastel.


Cheating again! But I couldn't forget Essie's Urban Jungle. A super chic, opaque nudey/beige/pink. Similar to Fiji but more on the neutral side of things. So pretty and clean on the nails. One of those colours I always get compliments on when I wear it! 


Oh and also The Body Shop nail colour in Frosting Fancy* is AMAZING. So similar to Fiji but warmed up with a little more pink. Brilliant forumulation, opaque in 2 easy coats. Love it! 


Okay, so there you have it! My top nail tools and nail polish colours for 2014. I hope you enjoyed this post and found it helpful. What were your favourite nail care essentials and nail polish colours from 2014? I'd love to know in the comments!

Thank you for reading.

Zoe x



 Disclaimer: I work for The Body Shop. However, all opinions about products from The Body Shop are 100% my own and do not reflect the opinions of those at The Body Shop. Any product given to me for staff sampling has been marked with an *. Any product from The Body Shop not marked, will have been purchased by myself, with my own money at a staff discounted price. All my opinions are completely true and honest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment