Contact

Sunday, 11 January 2015

How To Actually Get Rid of Blackheads



An article popped up on my Facebook page the other day called "How to get rid of blackheads." 

And I clicked on it. Why, why, why...

Well.. I won't go over the whole article with you but let's just say the ideal way to remove a blackhead is not to "use PVA glue as a DIY pore strip!" *faints* 

So, at the haunting thought of anyone actually going to Tesco to pick up some glue for their DIY pore strip, I thought I would write this post on how to actually get rid of blackheads in hope that even one person reads it and puts down the glue. 

Seriously... GLUE!?

Okay, so..

What are blackheads?

Blackheads are not dirt. They do not mean you are dirty or have an unclean face. Relax. Blackheads are dead skin cells and sebum (oil) that have been trapped within a pore. The reason they are black is because they have oxidised. Simples. 

How NOT to get rid of blackheads

1. Scrubs - Keeping in mind that blackheads are not dirt there is no need for you to scrub away at them with the harshest, grittiest scrub you could find in Tesco, on your way to buy the glue for your DIY pore strip. (Seriously, it makes me wince.) 

Scrubs will not do anything apart from irritate the skin, cause redness and broken capillaries. Not a good look. Put down the scrub. Please. 

2. Pore Strips - A pore strip will temporarily remove the blackhead by pulling it out of the pore, however, it will not keep it away. In fact, it kind of just leaves a big inviting hole for more bacteria, oil and dead skin cells to gather in together and have a party. Not ideal. (I can't talk about the glue again... I just can't.) 

3. Extractions - Unless it is done professionally, I personally, do not recommend removing blackheads yourself. You can by blackhead removers easily but I find these far more effective for removing whiteheads. I find you have to apply a lot of pressure over the blackhead to actually remove it, which can cause damage to the skin. Most salons that offer facials will be able to do extractions, that is probably your best (and safest) bet. It will cost money to get it done but the results will be worth it. 

How to ACTUALLY get rid of blackheads 

Key ingredients to look out for:

Salicylic acid is your best friend when it comes to getting rid of pesky blackheads for good. I have talked about this ingredient 107463526 times on this blog already but juuust in case you missed it, Ill quickly run over what it does one more time:

Salicylic acid penetrates down into the pore, breaking down congestion from within the skin. It is known as a BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid). It works amazingly at removing blackheads but also, just over all congestion within the skin. 

Glycolic acid is also your best friend (whether you have blackheads or not!). This is an exfoliator but it is in a completely smooth, liquid form. Which means no harsh scrubbing at the skin, yay! Glycolic acid is an AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid)

Glycolic acid melts away dead skin cells that are on the surface layer of the skin. It also kills bacteria. This will help to keep the skin clean and fresh, meaning there is less dead skill cells to get trapped in your pores causing blackheads. Glycolic acid is also great for reducing scarring (which is great for people who are left with marks/pigmentation from acne) as it is shedding old, dead skin cells and revealing new ones. 
Your skin will look much brighter, be healthier and feel smoother. 


Product Recommendations

All these products contain Salicylic acid, some in stronger amounts than others. 

I've talked about this mask a few times already (It recently had a name and packaging change but it is still the exact same mask), I wasn't that keen on it at first but now, it is my go-to mask if my skin is feeling congested and gritty. It flushes out blackheads with one use and improves the over-all texture of my skin, making it smooth and even.

My last post was all about this guy, so if you want a more detailed review, click here
A great, affordable toner for reducing blackheads and congestion. It is rather strong and does contain alcohol, so go easy with it. I only use it a couple times a week but even then, the results are great!

Again, I've talked about this product so many times already but it is a life saver. This is where it all started for me. This single product made a huge difference in my skin. So much that I barely need to reach for it any more, it has improved my skin that much. 
It completely wipes out congestion within the skin in a couple of days. I now only use it now and again, to keep my skin topped up. It really is a miracle product that I will always have on hand in my collection and recommend to everyone

Keeping the skin balanced 

You might be tempted at first to cover your whole face in all these products but please don't. Work these into your routine, spacing them out throughout the week. Even though salicylic acid is great ingredient, using too much can dehydrate the skin
I use the toner a couple times a week. The mask once a week. And the Effalcar Duo as and when I need it. I never apply these products one after another. It is too much for the skin.  You need to keep the skin balanced with moisture, so make sure you are using a good, hydrating moisturiser in the day or facial oil at night. 

Also, if you find that your skin is only effected by blackheads and/or congestion in specific areas on your face, you can just apply the product to that area. You by no means need to cover your whole face in any of the above products if you feel you do not need to. 

Okay, so that is my post on how I effectively get rid of blackheads! I hope this post was helpful and gave some of you a better understanding of how to get those pesky blackheads under control. 

If you try out any of the products I have mentioned, please let me know how you get on with them! I'd love to know.

Thanks for reading.

Zoe. x

6 comments:

  1. 25 home remedies to get rid of blackheads on nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, A Very Nice Article. Do checkout some of the comprehensive ways on remvoing blackheads : Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rather than just ointments and cremes there are also mechanical ways of getting rid of blackheads. Squeezing them however should never be done with just your hands. You can buy a blackhead vacuum to suck the gunk out of your pores automatically!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fastest way to remove blackheads
    I have tried it personally and experience results 100%
    blackhead removal using lemon
    blackhead removal using lemon

    ReplyDelete