Contact

Thursday, 4 September 2014

Save vs Splurge: Clay Masks



After recently discovering that clay, is in actual fact, one of the cheapest ingredients used in skincare, I decided to write a post comparing two masks.
One, high end. One, drugstore.

The Masks
I will be comparing the Una Brennan Tea Flower Deep Clean Pore Purifying Clay Mask and the Glam Glow Youthmud Tingle Exfoliate Treatment.

Price
Una Brennan Tea Flower Deep Clean Pore Purifying Clay Mask 125ml £8.99
(They have recently changed the name. I have compared ingredients on both and they are still the same.)

Glam Glow Youth Mud Tingle Exfoliate Treatment 15ml £25 (*heart breaks into tiny little pieces*)
or 50ml £49.50

Ingredients

Una Brennan
Aqua (Water), Kaolin, Silt, Cetearyl alcohol, Glyceryl stearate, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan stearate, Butyrospermum parkii (Shea butter), Mel (Honey), Persea gratissima (Avocado) oil, Phenethyl alcohol, Citrus aurantium dulcis (Sweet orange) peel oil, Citrus aurantium amara (Bitter orange) oil, Canaga odorata (Ylang ylang) flower oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Maltodextrin, Caprylyl glycol, PEG-20 stearate, Xanthan gum, Coco-glucoside, Citric acid, Salicylic acid, Glycerin, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) extract, Nasturtium officinale (Watercress) flower/leaf extract, Urtica dioica (Nettle) extract, Sambucus nigra (Elderflower) flower extract, Potassium sorbate, Sodium benzoate, Amyl cinnamal, Benzyl benzoate, Benzyl salicylate, Cinnamyl alcohol, Geraniol, Hexyl cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Dipropylene glycol

Glam Glow
Aqua (Water), Montmorillonite (VolcanicMinerals), Kaolin (French Sea Clay), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (PurifiedClay), Polyethylene, Pumice (Micro Volcanic Rock), Camellia Sinensis Leaf(Green Tea Leaf), Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract (Green Tea), ChamomillaRecutita Flower Extract (Chamomile), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract(Marigold), Cucumis Sativus Fruit Extract (Cucumber), Hedara Helix Extract(Ivy), Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract (Comfrey Herb), Lavandula Hybrida Oil(Lavender), Glycerin (Vegetable), Parfum, [Benzyl Benzoate, Hexyl Cinnamal,Limonene, Linalool], Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol,Hexylene Glycol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Both have a lot of lovely ingredients in them, both containing a lot of fruit and plant extracts.
However, the main ingredient being the clay. Una Brennan has Kaolin. Glam Glow also has Kaolin. They both have the exact same key ingredient. 

Application and Wear
Both apply very similarly. I would say the Una Brennan is slightly thicker in consistency, where as the Glam Glow is smoother and spreads more easily.
The Glam Glow has chunks of what looks like seaweed in it (I think) where as the Una Brennan is smooth in consistency.
Whilst on the skin, they both feel again, very similar. Although, Glam Glow is meant to tingle (it is in the name after all) but I do not feel any sort of tingle on the skin when wearing this.
With the Una Brennan I sometimes feel a slight heat or stinging, this is due to the salicylic acid in the mask, something the Glam Glow does not contain.

Removal
I find the Glam Glow much nicer to remove. At almost just crumbles off the skin when you wipe it away using either a facial sponge or a flannel (I've used both). I really like that as I hate to pull and tug at my skin to remove a mask.
Una Brennan is more difficult to remove. I find that when it meets the warmth/moisture on the flannel/sponge it almost begins to melt again. This means I have to go over it several times to really wipe away all of the mask and due to it being thicker in consistency, this can take some time. I also find that my skin will look quite red after, due to having to wipe over it so many times.

Results
The results are so similar. Both give a very fresh, clean complexion. The main thing I look for is how it has removed any blackheads I have, mainly around my nose. I find that the Una Brennan really cleans them away, making my skin look completely smooth, with no visible pores or uneven texture. The Glam Glow did remove any blackheads, however, I felt I could still see larger pores around that area.
With blemishes, I never notice that much of a difference on them when using the Una Brennan but with the Glam Glow, it reduced a particularly annoying visitor that had set up camp on my chin. I noticed it was reduced slightly in size and the redness has gone down.

Overall Opinion: Save or Splurge?
I think, I am going to have to say save. If I had known before buying the Glam Glow that clay is clay and no matter how fancy they try and make it out to be, it is all the same and more to the point, very cheap to use in products, I would not have purchased it. Do not get me wrong, it is a good product, it works effectively but no better or worse than the Una Brenna and why pay £50 for a mask, when you can get the same results from a £9 option?

Thank you very much for reading this post and I hope you found this helpful!

Zoe x


No comments:

Post a Comment