Contact

Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Why is Essie Fiji so pink?


I recently went to Boots to pick up a new bottle of my all time favourite nail polish, Essie- Fiji.

I love the super unique, almost white, baby pink polish. The "almost white" look being what makes it so unique and eye catching. 

But when I picked up Fiji from the shelf I noticed that it looked very pink. I checked the label, yup, "Fiji" was written on the top. I then thought it was because of the not very reliable lighting in Boots, so putting it down to that, I purchased it and off home I went.

I then compared it to my original Fiji when I got home and was rather shocked when it was indeed far more pink than the original. 

This then led to a lot of swatching and comparisons, looking at them in different lighting, inside, outside.. And going back and forth so many times on the matter.
"Is it more pink? Yes it so is! Or is it.. Nahh, not reeeally. No it so is!" And so on.. For quite some time..

The photos below do not show the difference as well as seeing them in person does but I thought I'd include them anyway. 

All taken in natural lighting with no editing/filters. 





LEFT- Orininal Fiji
RIGHT- New Fiji 

It then got to the point where I was looking at them so much that I just confused myself. So.. It left me no choice but to email Essie and get an answer for definite. This is their response..

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding Essie Nail Colour 14 Fiji.
Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Essie is committed to continuous research and development to improve the performance of our existing products and to bring innovative and effective products to the marketplace. This means that changes are made to our formulas from time to time. I can confirm that this shade has recently been updated.

I apologise for your disappointment and please be assured your feedback will be passed onto the relevant department."
Not going to lie... I wanted to cry.
I really have no clue as to why Essie would tamper with their most popular shade but not only that, take away what made it so unique in the first place! 
The "new" colour is still very pretty but it is now more just a typical baby pink, it's just not Fiji anymore! 
This post is basically just a warning that Fiji is no longer what it use to be and get hunting for some original bottles, I know I will be!
Thanks for reading and I hope you found this post helpful!
Zoe x

7 comments:

  1. I noticed the exact same thing when I was in Boots yesterday. It is definitely darker.
    I first became confused when I read somewhere recently someone saying how Romper Room is quite a bit lighter than Fiji, and I thought 'What?', because I have both shades and Romper Room is obviously darker than my (original) Fiji, but yes it is lighter than the 'new' Fiji.
    Seeing as Essie does so many similar shades, you'd have thought they would have continued to make the old Fiji and just given the new Fiji a different name.
    I also noticed that Sugar Daddy seemed pinker instead of almost completely clear, but in that case, not a bad thing for me as Sugar Daddy I found in the original formula to be just too sheer even after numerous coats.
    As to Fiji I am very disappointed that they have changed it. Maybe other companies will now start doing the same shade as the original Fiji, this is what has happened after Sally Hansen completely changed the shade and forumula of their Pacific Blue, their are exact dupes for tha now: Miss Sporty 'Pop Fiction', Barry M Gelly 'Damson', Rimmel 'Loafer Love For You' and Bourjois 'Bleu Fabuleux'. So I hope someone starts making an exact dupe of the original Fiji, or that Essie will rethink and restore it to its former glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have Romper Room as well and "new Fiji" is so similar to it! It's so frustrating.
      That would have made so much more sense than to have changed it and got rid of the original formula. A very silly move by Essie!
      I might go and pick up Sugar Daddy actually, I've always wanted to try it but it being just a bit on the sheer side is what put me off.
      Yeah, hopefully. However, no one was able to dupe it well before hand. But I've got my fingers crossed that someone manages to this time round!
      Thank you for reading my post :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for replying. I went and bought a bottle of the new Fiji on thursday. So now I have two bottles, and it is so obvious that the new bottle is a deeper shade than the original. There are quite a few pinks on the market very similar to the new Fiji but nothing quite like the old Fiji. Sugar Daddy looks slightly pinker in the bottle than the original but still goes on so sheer you need about 10 coats to see any colour and then it has a slight yellowish tinge, which seems strange, but nothing like the nice colour it looks in the bottle. I even thought of adding a drop or two of white polish to the new Fiji but haven't plucked up the courage yet!

      Delete
  2. Sorry for commenting on a post that's so old but thanks so much for posting this! I wonder when the actual change took place? Last year? I don't own the old Fiji, just the new one. So it's great to know they actually did change their formula. Thanks for taking the time to email essie and sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to echo the sentiments of the person who posted above... I googled it because I got so confused after hearing it described in countless reviews and seeing so many photos of it and then going to the store to find it was soooo much more pink than I anticipated and not what I was looking for at all. I was starting to wonder if I was going crazy haha. There were even Essie reps commenting on Facebook telling people the formula hadn't changed which just added to the confusion. So happy that you looked into it and got to the bottom of this! Haha. Now I'm off to find a comparable shade to the old version of Fiji.. If you know of a dupe let me know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to echo the sentiments of the person who posted above... I googled it because I got so confused after hearing it described in countless reviews and seeing so many photos of it and then going to the store to find it was soooo much more pink than I anticipated and not what I was looking for at all. I was starting to wonder if I was going crazy haha. There were even Essie reps commenting on Facebook telling people the formula hadn't changed which just added to the confusion. So happy that you looked into it and got to the bottom of this! Haha. Now I'm off to find a comparable shade to the old version of Fiji.. If you know of a dupe let me know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the original fiji and I find it so hard to apply with it being so streaky, frustrating!
    Hey if anyone wants it I'll give it away but i do love the colour in the bottle....
    Carole, Manitoba Canada!

    ReplyDelete