Contact

Thursday, 7 August 2014

Exfoliating Toners



A post all about one of my favourite skincare products ever; Exfoliating Toners. 

What is an exfoliating toner?
A completely smooth liquid that contains ingredients known as AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids). These include glycolic acid, lactic acid and fruit acids (citric acid). These provide the effects (actually, better effects) of "manual" (beady) exfoliators. 
So many brackets..

How do I use an exfoliating toner? And when in my routine?
You apply it like a "normal" toner. On a cotton pad and sweep over the skin.
You would use it as your second step in your routine, right after you have cleansed your face and then follow up with a "traditional toner". You can use an acid toner day or night.

Does it hurt?
No. So many people are scared to use exfoliating toners as the word "acid" sounds scary. Yeah, it does but there's nothing to be scared off at all. AHAs are designed to be used on the skin and are in a very small percentage in the product. 

What does it feel like?
When using an exfoliating toner, you may feel a slight "tingle" to the skin. This is the acid nibbling away all the dead skin cells. If you are using an acid toner containing salicylic acid, you may feel a slight stinging or nipping over blemished areas, again, this is completely normal. That is just the acid finding bacteria and killing it off the skin. 

However, if you feel a burning on the skin, discontinue use.

Sting/tingly = good. Burning = bad.

The intensity of the tingly feeling depends on the strength of the acid in the toners. Some are gentle enough to use every day, others are more concentrate and should only be used a couple times a week.

What skin types are acid toners suitable for? 
All skin types. The only one I'd be unsure of is super sensitive skins. Yet again, it would depend on the intensity of the toner, a super super gentle one should be fine but I can't say for sure. Everyones skin is different. 

Results of using an Exfoliating toner
Smooth, radiant, glowy skin. I absolutely adore the effects these toners give to my skin. They make it look so healthy and glowing! It also allows my makeup to apply really smoothly and for my skincare to work better as there's no dead skin cells blocking everything up. AHA's help to stimulate new cell turn over, resulting in an anti aging effect too, keeping skin looking fresh and young. They are also great for getting rid of blemishes and keeping the skin looking clear and radiant. 

Different toners I've tried 
I have tried a few different acid toners and thought it would be useful to compare them.

1. Clarins Gentle Brightening Exfoliating Toner- I LOVE this stuff. It's by far my favourite toner I've used. "Brightening" is definitely the best name for it. It makes my skin look so glowy and healthy. It's gentle enough to use everyday and still gives me the results I want time after time. I'm on my 4th bottle now. 

2. Pixi Glow Tonic- This is probably one of the most popular toners in the blogger world. It's very hyped up.
It is very gentle and suitable to use every day. Although, despite its name I find that I get more of a "glow" from my Clarins toner. It is good and gets the job done in terms of keeping my skin prepped and exfoliated. My sister, who has dry skin, loves this stuff and saw a huge difference when she started using it.

3. Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner- This is by far the strongest of the bunch! The first time I used this my face was tingling away like nothing else. I don't use this every day- it's far too strong. 
It is very effective and would be good for someone who is looking for a stronger exfoliation. 

4. Nip + Fab Exfoliating Pads- These are the cheapest and the most gentle of the bunch. They are so quick and easy to use as they are pre-soaked pads. I recommend these if you want to start using acid toners but are a bit hesitant. These get the job done but are a super gentle, so gentle you don't even feel a tingle from them! They are also nice for travelling as they are small and you don't have to take cotton pads and a bottle of toner with you too. Yay! 

Masks


You can also get exfoliating masks. These are much stronger and are designed to only be used once/twice a week. I have a couple..




Both these are pretty pricey coming in at around £30 each (Depending on where you buy from).
I'm not going to talk about these much, as personally, my experience with them hasn't been that great. I didn't see dramatic or even noticeable differences when using either of these.

I think that if you use a gentle acid toner every day, you do not need to splurge and buy an expensive mask. 


However, please do your research. I know both of those treatments are very popular and there are lots of reviews out there. This is just my opinion on them, it doesn't mean you wont enjoy them I know loads of people love these and claim them as their "holy grail" products. 

So there you have it! My post on the best skincare product ever. If you do not use an exfoliating toner please run out and purchase one now.. Like, right now!

Thanks for reading.

Zoe x 



Want to keep up with my blog? 
Feel free to follow me on  Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Awesome article. Please do more articles like this in the future. Very informational and knowledgeable. I will expect more from you in the future. For now i will just bookmark your page and surely I'm gonna come back later to read more. Thank you to the writer!


    Rica
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Awesome article. Please do more articles like this in the future. Very informational and knowledgeable. I will expect more from you in the future. For now i will just bookmark your page and surely I'm gonna come back later to read more. Thank you to the writer!


    Rica
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you so much for the support, it means a lot to me. I am so glad you enjoy my blog :) I will be back next week with more posts!

      Delete
  3. Reading your article is such a privilege. It does inspire me, I hope that you can share more positive thoughts. Visit my site too. The link is posted below.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete