Contact

Monday, 7 July 2014

How I Deal With Breakouts (Skincare + Makeup Tips)


I am currently dealing with a rather angry (stress related) breakout along the right side of my face and up onto my forehead. The joys. So I thought it would be helpful to talk about what I do when my skin decides to break out. 

Skincare is obviously the most important thing to think about when dealing with a breakout, not makeup. 
Yeah, you want to hide it but you want to focus on actually getting rid of it first. 


The first thing I like to do it really strip my skincare down to the basics that I know work for me. Nothing fancy, nothing new, just good no fuss reliable products that I know work. 

I'll start by (as always) double cleansing with my Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm
This is the definition of a fuss free, no fancy claims just gets the job done product.

I'll then move on to toning. For this Ill use two (again, as always)
Out of my exfoliating toners I'll go for my Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner.  It contains a total of 5 ingredients and really works on getting rid of bacteria on the skin.
You can feel it stinging over the blemishes, which is GOOD. That is it killing the bacteria. 
It also isn't drying as it only contains glycerin, aloe, pink grapefruit extract and the Glycolic acid. Oh and water. So it's not damaging or harsh on the skin. 

Next up I'll do a "typical" toning stage. This is to balance out the skin and give it back some moisture. For this Ill switch between my Body Shop Aloe Toner or my Clarins Toning Lotion with Iris
The Body Shop option is super soothing and gentle to the skin. Again, it has a very small ingredients list, the main two being water and aloe juice.

The Clarins lotion is a staple in my routine and it's suitable to use no matter how my skin is. It's gentle, hydrating and smells good. What more could I want?

Next up is a treatment and for this I go for the La Roche Posay Effeclar Duo. This is what is really going to work on getting rid of these pesky spots. Salyclic acid penetrates down into the pores flushing away dirt, bacteria and congestion from within the skin. It also helps surface blemishes on their way too.

Then I'll move on to the final step which is a facial oil. I prefer oil to cream, especially when I'm broken out, as I feel they are much easier for my skin to absorb. Creams quite often just sit ontop of my skin and block everything up, where as an oil is easier to absorb and is more beneficial to the skin (for me anyway) 

The Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate is my go to for helping get rid of pesky breakouts.
It's so healing and soothing on the skin. It's so gentle yet effective at reducing blemishes and redness. 

This method takes longer for spots and breakouts to go away but it's so much better for your skin than slathering your face in alcohol loaded spot treatments every night. Yuck. 

My morning routine pretty much stays the same. I take the time at night to really work on repairing my skin and focus on treating the breakout. 

Makeup


I like to keep it simple. I don't change to a super heavy full coverage foundation, there's no point. Usually, with me, my breakouts are only in certain areas. As I said earlier my right cheek and forehead are affected. 

So I'll use a nice light coverage foundation all over the skin, preferable my Gosh CC cream. I love this one as it's light and illuminating on the skin. It's also buildable without being cakey. 

Once my base is done I'll then go in with a high coverage concealer and pay attention to the blemished areas, working on pin-point concealing them. Right now I'm using the Kick Ass concealer by Soap and Glory. 
It's nice and creamy and has good coverage. It moves easily over the skin but once set in place, if doesn't move around. Another favourite of mine is the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. It's super full coverage and only costs £4. Yay! 

Something that really helps is colour correcting. I use the Max Factor Colour Correction Stick in the green shade. 
Green cancels out red, so it makes the blemishes much less noticeable and easy to cover, meaning you don't have to add later after layer of concealer. (This would be the first step of your base.) 

Tip:
Wash your brushes more regularly when suffering from a breakout. They carry bacteria. Applying foundation with the same dirty brush every day will do you no favours. Whip out the soap and clean them. Properly. 

Okay, so that's how I deal with breakouts! Keep in mind that everyone's skin is different and what works for some might not work for others. This is just how I personally deal with my skin. 

Thanks so much for reading! 

Zoe x

No comments:

Post a Comment